That’s if you believe EA and their Madden 11 prediction.
In a battle of storied NFL franchises, the Pittsburgh Steelers win their record seventh Vince Lombardi Trophy, defeating the Green Bay Packers 24-20 in Super Bowl XLV, according to the annual EA SPORTS Super Bowl Simulation powered by Madden NFL 11.
Down 13-17 going into the fourth quarter, Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers hits James Jones in the end-zone to put the Pack up by 3 points with nine minutes left in the game. The defense for both teams kept the score tight throughout most of the fourth quarter, with neither willing to budge. After the two minute warning, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hit Mike Wallace on a slant, and the wide receiver’s world-class speed helped outrace the Packers defense for a 36 yard touchdown pass; giving Pittsburgh the lead with 1:20 left on the clock. With no timeouts, Rodgers led Green Bay into Pittsburgh territory as the nail-biting contest drew to a close. In a last second desperation attempt, Rodgers targeted receiver Jordy Nelson, but Steelers safety, Ryan Clark, picked off the pass, clinching Pittsburgh’s Super Bowl XLV victory. Pittsburgh wide receiver Mike Wallace was named Super Bowl MVP with five catches for 111 total yards and a touchdown.
· 12:37 PIT FG S. Suisham missed 41 Yd
· 7:58 PIT INT T. Polamalu, Intercepts ball on own 43
· 2:55 PIT TD R. Mendenhall, 2 Yd run (Suisham kick)
· 12:41 PIT FG S. Suisham, 32 Yd FG
· 8:46 GB FG M. Crosby missed 44 Yd FG
· 1:29 GB INT A.J. Hawk, Intercepts ball on Pittsburgh 39
· 0:26 GB TD G. Jennings, 12 Yd pass from A. Rodgers (M. Crosby kick)
· 8:59 PIT TD H. Ward, 17 Yd pass from B. Roethlisberger (Suisham kick)
· 5:10 GB FG M. Crosby, 49 Yd FG
· 1:16 GB FG M. Crosby, 38 Yd FG
· 9:00 GB TD J. Jones, 9 Yd pass from A. Rodgers (M. Crosby kick)
· 1:20 PIT TD M. Wallace, 36 Yd pass from B. Roethlisberger (Suisham kick)
· 0:20 PIT INT R. Clark, Intercepts ball on own 20
Earlier this season, Madden NFL 11 simulated the entire NFL season and correctly predicted the Green Bay Packers as the NFC Champion. Dating back to Super Bowl XXXVIII, EA SPORTS has conducted the annual Super Bowl simulation using the latest iteration of the Madden NFL franchise. The Super Bowl XLV simulation was conducted utilizing artificial intelligence powered by real-life data from each team to determine player ratings, and includes variances, such as injuries, to predict the outcome. Six out of the last seven Super Bowl champions have been accurately predicted by Madden NFL. Previous results include:
- Super Bowl XXXVIII – Patriots 23, Panthers 20
- Actual Score: Patriots 32, Panthers 29
- Super Bowl XXXIX – Patriots 47, Eagles 31
- Actual score: Patriots 24, Eagles 21
- Super Bowl XL – Steelers 24, Seahawks 19
- Actual score: Steelers 21, Seahawks 10
- Super Bowl XLI – Colts 38, Bears 27
- Actual score: Colts 29, Bears 17
- Super Bowl XLIII – Steelers 28, Cardinals 24
- Actual score: Steelers 27, Cardinals 23
- Super Bowl XLIV – Saints 35, Colts 31
- Actual score: Saints 31, Colts 17
The prediction record seems to be quite clear, although the scores are different and sometimes closer, the results are there. Could it be that EA have done it again? Place your bets… if you dare!