DeathSpank Lead July PSN Sales
Forecasting and Analyzing Digital Entertainment is a company that has tracked the sales of downloadable games on the Playstation Network, specifically covering over 100 PS3 titles with trophy support.
PS3 gamers must be too busy playing online for free to rub it in Xbox 360 gamers faces and not buying PSN titles due to XBLA selling a while lot more. For example, no title has reached the 500,000 units sold mark on PSN, whereas XBLA has nearly recorded its 4th million-seller in Trials HD, but apparently the average PSN title has grossed $730,000 USD in revenue over its lifetime, compared with $1.1 million on XBLA, and that’s considered a success…
‘Although PSN lacks the massive sellers of Xbox Live Arcade, many developers have found great success with PSN. In our initial report, we find that 22% of all titles have recorded over $1 million USD in revenue, a figure that should be encouraging to developers that are interested in the platform.’ said Benjamin Schlichter, Director of Research & Analysis at FADE.
PSN sales during the July period reached more than $4 million USD, led by Hothead Games’ Comedy RPG ‘DeathSpank’ with 50,000 units sold during the month. Comparatively, DeathSpank sold just over 70,000 units on XBLA, bringing the title to over 130,000 units sold between both console platforms. Hello Games’ title ‘Joe Danger’ raced to 2nd place $230,000 in gross revenue, nearly eclipsing the 100,000 units sold mark over its lifetime. Another new release, ‘Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge’, was 4th for July, with over $160,000 taken in for the month.
FADE Top 5 Estimates for PSN Lifetime Sales, by Revenue
- Battlefield 1943 (EA Dice) – $6.6 million ($14.99)
- Fat Princess (Titan Studios) – $5.6 million ($14.99)
- PAIN (Idol Minds) – $4.3 million ($9.99)
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Capcom) – $3.9 million ($7.49 – $14.99)
- Flower (ThatGameCompany) – $3.4 million ($9.99)
FADE Top 5 Estimates for PSN July 2010 Sales, by Revenue
- DeathSpank (Hothead Games) – $750,000 ($14.99)
- Joe Danger (Hello Games) – $230,000 ($14.99)
- Battlefield 1943 (EA Dice) – $194,000 ($14.99)
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge (LucasArts) – $162,000 ($9.99)
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Capcom) – $139,000 ($7.49)